Who thought moving across water could have been one of the thrilling adventures today, well Kayaking has emerged as the coolest escapade one can think off. It happens to be healthy as well; considering the nice opportunity to come close to the nature. The most important thing here is the kayak of proper size. What size kayak do I need? There are so many variations available that the beginner can easily be confused while deciding which one to go for. Various shapes and sizes serve different purposes, so choosing the right one is very important for the best experience.
The best way is always the simplest one that is to try as much models as you can to know the right size or type but this is not possible for some obvious reasons. Another way to have a clear view about it may seem a bit complex but happens to be quite effective.
What size kayak do I need?
There are few questions you should ask yourself before buying your kayak and the honest answers will decide the right size for it. Most important questions are:
- Where are you planning to paddle? The options range from shallow rivers, lakes, creeks to large water bodies or ocean.
- How long are you expecting to row at a stretch? It can be few hours, a day or a week sometime.
- How far are you going? A mile or two or five? Or the hemisphere?
Answering these questions along with some others would give you a perfect view while reading fishing kayak reviews can also be an option.
Now here comes some basic features of common kayaks available in market. If you want something that can be kept in a straight line easily and faster as well, it would be wise to go for something narrower and longer than usual. This type of kayaks are very efficient. The shorter and wider it gets, it becomes more stable and easier to turn. At the same time it gets slower.
Here are some important rules regarding kayak size.
- 9-12 feet long kayaks specially for shallow rivers or creeks. They traverse maximum 2 miles at a time and nice for playing in water or casual paddling. They can cover small coves and short distances but completely unsafe for open rough water. They are known as ‘‘recreational kayaks.’’
- 15-18 feet long kayaks for expedition or ocean surfing purpose. These have great speed and demand less effort to keep in motion. They have enough room for overnight stay and other stuffs. Their sleek, narrow design helps them to handle big rivers, enormous bay or wide lakes with much speed. These are “touring kayaks”.
- 12-14 feet long “cross-over” kayaks are your answer if you are a beginner, like to play in water but not much experienced to track them in a straight line and love to explore a bit aggressive water line. These are safer choices with a potential of improving your skill (12.5 feet long Dagger Blackwater).
There are other factors like efficiency, stability etc while buying your own kayak. There are websites where you can come across best fishing kayaks. Keeping all these simple but important facts on mind will make deciding your own kayak a lot easier. Besides, there’s always the option to follow your heart.