While fishing for most people presents an opportunity to bond, it is also a great pass time and for others, it is more of a pride and having the best of the best in the market for them is paramount. Regardless of how you choose to view your fishing expeditions, one thing is for sure, you will need a kayak to take you to the best fishing sports. Most people might argue that a boat could be the better tool for the job. However, given its weight and size, it quickly falls down the ranks of favor. Since fishing kayak reviews are not the most common, you may need some help guiding you on the best options and the different features that each of them has to offer. From there you can rest assured that you will be ushered into the world of Kayaking as a professional who understands the benefits of owning a Kayak and how to make the most out of one.
To cater to those that are completely new to Kayaking, it is essential to start from the bottom and ensure that you are able to tag along and understand the beautiful and intriguing world of kayaking.
- What is a fishing kayak?
- Types of Kayaks.
- Why do you need a fishing kayak?
- How to choose the right fishing kayak for you?
- Top 8 Best Fishing Kayak Reviews 2015-2016
- How to use the different types of fishing kayaks
- Where to Buy Your Kayak
What is a fishing kayak?
A kayak is a small narrowly built boat. It is meant to be propelled by adouble-bladed paddle. Even though there are many uses for kayaks like surfing, adventure and sports they are mostly used for fishing. They are available in different materials depending on their intended usage. There are many types of kayaks according to fishing kayak reviews. Their sizes also vary depending on their carriage capacity.
Types of Kayaks.
You might have noted from the reviews that there were noticeable differences between the different kayaks that have been reviewed. This allows the kayaks to be easily used in different settings and for different uses. Knowing the different types of kayaks not only helps you to understand them better, but also you are able to make a better pick depending on what you fancy.
Fishing kayaks can be a combination of most types of Kayaks. They are fitting with fishing gear and anglers and to make them even more efficient, they have a foot paddling mechanism that makes it easier for you to concentrate on your fishing while at the same time being able to move the kayak.
Sit-on top kayaks.
These are perhaps the most common types of kayaks, they differ in the make and number of people that it can carry. However, they are quite simple to paddle. The best thing about them is that they can be used out on the sea, on estuaries, rivers and even in canals. They are quite flexible and offer nimble steering. They are ideal for virtually any user from the experienced to the newbies. All you have to do is make sure that you pick your kind of waters well.
They are more common when you visit resorts. They are built to provide stability on the water and comfort at the same time. They offer a variety of paddling options that caters to the novice right to the experienced kayakers and offer a great relaxing feel. However, they are not the best for sporting activities since they are harder to steer.
While these might not be the best fishing kayaks, they are the ideal pick for those that are looking for speed. They are naturally longer than the touring kayaks and are faster. They also come with a variety of other features to improve their performance, multiple hatches and deck layouts that help to improve on the storage and improve access.
White water kayaks,
This is the most exhilarating and exciting part about kayaks. It includes a broad range of paddling options. The kayaks that are available in this category largely depend on the ability of the user. They are built to withstand different sports like extreme creeking, river running and even play-boating. They are generally small and very streamlined not to mention that they are quite easy to steer.
As the name suggests, these are kayaks that require air to work. They are the perfect choice for recreational paddling and are best used on flat and quiet water mostly because of their likelihood of getting punctured. The best thing about them is the fact that they are easy to carry since they can be deflated hence using less storage space. They are also great fishing kayaks as long as you don’t stray into the turbulent waters. They are also great for family excavations because they are very stable and easy to paddle largely because they are lightweight.
Why do you need a fishing kayak?
Kayaks are just unique in their own ways. They have many advantages over the traditional boats and this is why they are preferred these days. Here are some of the reason why you need a kayak.
Many kayaks are inflatable and so they are very flexible. The can actually be fitted in a backpack or car boot. When you want to use the kayak you can simply inflate it in just five minutes with the electric pump. Some of the best kayaks for fishing don’t weigh much and can be carried by the kayaker alone. You can move around with them easily.
Kayaks have two buoyancy tubes which make them float stably. The buoyancy ensures that there is a low center of gravity and this makes them almost impossible to flip over. The two separate tubes makes them even more stable than the traditional boats.
Large Loading Capacity
Due to their stability you can carry much on your kayak. Between the large tubes is a flat space where you can be placing your catch when you are fishing. Some kayaks can carry up to four people and you will not worry about their unsteadiness. The Sea Eagle 12.6 SR is one of the biggest kayaks which can take a total of 1600 lbs.
They Are Light
Traditional boats are very heavy. The fabrics used to make kayaks for fishing are very light in weight. Their lightness makes them so easy to launch and carry around. Most kayaks can only be carried by one person and others two persons. It is their lightness that make people like them more.
Kayaks are made of sturdy fabrics which are durable. Since they are often folded many times the manufacturers often ensure that they can withstand the pressures of wear or tear. PVC is one of the most common materials used for making kayaks and it can be folded more than 10,000 times.
All in One Function
You also need a kayak because you will not only need it for fishing but also for other adventurous activities such as surfing. You can rapid, sail, paddle, cruise or even row with it.
How to choose the right fishing kayak for you?
Kayaks come in different sizes, makes, colors and features. However, they have common functions and characteristics which when considered carefully will see you get the best fishing kayak. You always need to be careful when determining the kayak you wants or else you regret on a later date when you realize that you have the wrong kayak. Consider some of these features:
They are considered to be traditional in terms of their designs, uniqueness and construction. They are made of sealskin and are often very light. Lately, these kayaks are made of nylon and converse with neoprene covering.
They are made of rigid fiberglass. These kayaks often represent the artwork of manufacturers since they are always made by hand. Some of the best kayaks for fishing are strip-built kayaks, many of which are very durable.
These are lauded for their convenience in that they can be carried around easily. The strongest ones are made of some type of skin. More materials which are used to make folder boats are collapsible wood, leather and plastic. The material always has to be water resistant. Folding boats are known for their longevity, durability, and stability.
Safety Precautions When Kayaking
Even though kayaking is fun there have been losses especially when kayakers fail to pay attention to their safety. When using your kayak you should always be careful to avoid any injuries or even loss of life. The precautions you need for smooth fishing expedition with any bet kayak for fishing are categorized into three:
Before Getting On Water
Ensure that you have your jacket with you. However, new kayakers should always wear their life jackets. According to fishing kayak reviews many companies will give you life jackets when you buy a kayak. It is best that you be a swimmer before you get into a kayak. This will be important in the event of capsize which is likely to happen when there are strong winds. Make sure that everyone you are kayaking with knows the routes that you will follow and that the paths are off rapids. The last thing you want is fishing with kayaks in the river and all over sudden you stumble into a waterfall.
When on The Water
Many kayaks have drink holders and so you might be tempted to have a beer. This is fatal and will lead to your impairment. Should anything happen when fishing in your kayaks, you will not be able to defend yourself when fishing. In case you see a sudden rapid look find a place with the most pool of water then paddle against the water flow. You never know what’s on the other side of the rapid. When you are fishing with your pears it is important to paddle in turn so that you all don’t get too tired. The ultimate precaution is that you should not spend too much time in the water.
Top 8 Best Fishing Kayak Reviews 2015-2016
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person
If you are a one person fun kind of person, then you are bound to find the Intex Challenger Kayak to be quite the catch. Fitted with a wide array of benefits and features, it is bound to be the best companion in your adventurous escapdes. Some of the benefits that you are bound to be experience with this one of a kind and highly considered among the best Kayaks for fishing.
- The kayak offers a durable build that is nimble and is quite durable.
- It has a fine finish that is quite attractive to the eye and definitely meant for the waves.
- It has cockpit that is designed for comfort and has plenty of space to allow for better movement.
- Should you need to store your gear or even your catch, it comes with an extra cargo net to make sure that your sitting space is not imposed on.
- With every purchase, you get an 84 inch aluminum oar and a hand pump and to make the deal even better, you also get a repair patch to make sure you never miss a day out in the rowdy
- waters or even switch that for some silent fishing.
On the downside, there are some areas that might raise concerns about this best kayak for fishing.
- Even though it is capable of going for a fishing expedition, you might find it a bit hard to maneuver around because it is not really meant for fishing.
- The inflatable backseat is not the sturdiest and will crumble when a bit of pressure is added to it.
- It is only possible to support about 220 pounds which does not give it a lot of leverage for the heavier people.
Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak Review
This kayak is ideal for those who have been fishers for many years. You need a stable and solid kayak which not only gives you better fishing experience but value as well. The Lifetime Sport Fisher kayak can be used to regularly go out with friends and family to recreational trips. All fishing kayak reviews laud it for the ability to handle three people inside it. Whether it is solo fishing or tandem fishing you will enjoy the time you spend on this spacious kayak. You can also use it to introduce your kids to the kayaking world so long as you get one with two seats. With good balance and safety the Lifetime Sport is worth the price. You can literally stand in the kayak as you get a view of the scenery ahead of you. There are compartments on this kayak for keeping your belongings very dry. Even as you engage in fishing sports you don’t have to worry about your belongings getting wet.
- You can go fishing with your family.
- You don’t have to worry about losing your items as you can store them in the shock cord and ditty trays.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty.
- The dimension is 120 by 36 inches making it very wide to accommodate the people in it.
- It is stable and one of the best fishing kayaks to surf through class II rapids.
- The blow molded polythene makes it so durable.
- You do not need fishing pole holders because it comes with them.
- The storage hatch is 6 inches.
- It doesn’t have a rudder and therefore, has tracking issues.
- When water gets into the pole holders the boat will also get some water.
The Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak has all that you need for the best price range. If you have been engaged in strenuous fishing activities this is your kayak as it will breathe some fresh air into your experience. It is stable in water to allow you enjoy the sea and all its glory.
Coleman Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak Review
When it comes to the Coleman Quikpak craftsmanship is the best term to use. They are the best fishing kayaks for beginner fishing. With this kayak you don’t have to strap it on the roof of your car when going to the lake. Even though it is one of the best for fishing, the Coleman Quickpack kayak was designed to give you the best experience on water. You can set it up so easily by inflating. It is also secure, fun and convenient. You can fold it and place it on the boot of your car to attend to other errands before going kayaking. When you need some personal time it is the equipment you should get.
- It has cup holders for keeping your drinks close to your hand.
- It is very easy to set up. Requires only five minutes.
- The tarpaulin bottom cushions you from punctures.
- The system is airtight. This is a guarantee from leaking.
- It comes with two double lock valve points which ensure easy inflation and deflation.
- There are multiple chambers in the kayak which allow you to keep your stuff safely on different chambers when one is punctured.
- The backrests help you lean back while you enjoy the ride.
- The kayak also has carry handles which make it easy to carry it in and out of the water.
- The PVC construction makes it easy to use the kayak on the lake.
- There are multiple foot rest positions in the kayak which ensures maximum comfort.
- It is spacious with an inflated dimension of 8 ft. 7 in. x 3 ft.
- Water might drip from the paddles into the kayak and so it is not the best fishing kayaks for those who do not want to get wet.
- Because it is light in weight the kayak might be unstable especially when there is a heavy wind. You will therefore need extra weight to make it stable.
The kayak comes with attachable cargo net for storing your belongings. These could be snacks, gears or face towels. Besides, it is better placed at the front to allow for easy access. The leg space is accurate thereby allowing you to stretch not just the legs but the arms and back as well. This means that the kayak can accommodate all users. Do not worry about your weight since the Coleman Quickpack can carry up to 400 lbs. The kayak is designed smartly and can even be folded into a back pack. When it is deflated the seats can convert into shoulder straps and this makes it very portable. Due to its small weight you can carry it on shallow waters and you do not need extra help for this.
Oru Kayak – Quality Product with a Brilliant Design
It was designed to make kayaks an option for everybody. Whether you live in the city or in cramped places the Oru Kayak is ideal for you. Its design was inspired by origami. It is so light and can be folded into a small size for portability. The Oru Kayak is not just one of the best fishing kayak but it has also been used in numerous sporting events. Since its first make in 2012 Anton Willis, the inventor has added so many interesting features to it. Oru Kayak is made from flexible, light and durable material giving you value for your money. The material is a double layer of resilient plastic which can be folded easily. It will not get damaged by repeated folding. This means that you can transport it hundreds of times without wear and tear. The label from the manufacturer indicates that you can fold it for more than 20,000.
- It has easy to close seams.
- It has a reinforced cockpit which allows for easy entry.
- The footrest is also easy to adjust.
- Comes with two rubber deck straps for gear.
- It comes with a pair of bulkheads to allow for easy rigidity.
- The straps are simple and intuitive for buckling and closing.
- It fits in the standard spray skirts.
Even though this kayak is lauded to be one of the best in most fishing kayak reviews it is not the best. It takes so much time to put the kayak together. You will take more than 20 minutes just trying to assemble the parts.
The Oru Kayak is made of one single seam which is at the top of the boat. The seam is waterproof and sealed completely. Even though it is flexible this does not compromise on its firmness when assembled. You don’t really need an internal frame for this kayak. To make the plastic body even better are the metallic fasteners and rubber straps which are durable thanks to their high quality. In the cockpit there is a rigid floorboard with a footrest that can be adjusted to make the backrest movable. The reinforced cockpit makes it very easy to move in and out. Its performance is easy the best in comparison with other kayaks for fishing. The lack of weight will allow you to move through the winds and water easily.
Sun Dolphin Aruba sit-in Kayak review (10-feet)
Kayaking is fun and that’s why people love kayaks so much. The Sun Dolphin Aruba is just awesome. It gives you the ability to go close to nature and in the rare places which other kayaks simply cannot attempt. What makes this one of the best kayaks for fishing is the fact that it is inexpensive, attractive and can be used to paddle through calms waters, ponds or lakes. This sit-in kayak is mainly available in two main colors; green and red. The most purchased model is the 10 ft even though there is an 8 ft variation. It can skyrocket to increase your level of satisfaction.
- It has optimum hull design which combines both turning and tracking.
- It comes with a water holder.
- The padded seats are very adjustable.
- The kayak is made from polythene which is high density and durable.
- You will also get compartments where you can store your stuff.
- It has feet lengths which only limit it to recreational purposes.
- Even though is the best fishing kayak which can maneuver through tight passages, small coves and can cover very short distances in a good fashion it is not ideal for rough waters.
- The length also doesn’t allow you to paddle it for too long distances.
One of the most important considerations that one always has to make when choosing a kayak is whether to go for a sit-in or a sit-on kayak. The features are all unique and with the sit-in you will get to sit inside the kayak’s hull and so your knees will embrace the walls of the kayak’s walls. This is why Sun Dolphine Aruba Sit-in kayak is awesome. When you are in the hull you get to make better paddle strokes and the kayak can also take a skirt. Its design is perfect and once you are in it the water will not splash on you. This kayak is best known for its durability and affordability. If you are a beginner it is ideal for you as you will not be wondering about buying kayaks again. The airalite material used to make this kayak is very easy to maintain and is also stiff for optimum performance. The material is also ideal for any type of adversities which nature throws at it. There are no worries such as scratches, cracks or chips that might be of bother to you.
Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak Review
If you want the best fishing kayak that can double up for other multipurpose activities like recreation then go for the Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak. It can accommodate up to 3 people and has very comfortable backrests. When you need solo fishing you get the best of it and when you need family outing you will also have a blast. The design is exceptional which makes it easy to not only fish but also surf and sail. It has a superior tunnel hull which provides stability and an effortless tracking. You can stand on the Lifetime Manta Tandem Kayak and not get overturned.
- It has molded rear and side carry handles.
- The dimensions are 103 by 36 inches and weighs 65 making it very light.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty.
- It has short straps which make it very easy to carry.
- It can easily be used in flat water areas.
- It has a fair price considering its features.
- Its spacious design makes it ideal for family outings.
- It also has foot wells for easy carrying.
- Even though this kayak is very light it is very difficult to carry it around especially if you are alone.
- If you are looking for some great speed this kayak will be a disappointment for you.
This kayak stands out on the basis of its design. It has many innovative in built features like the contoured seats. You can use two paddles or one. In the kayak is a paddle cradle, multiple foot wells, a holder for keeping the fishing rod and these are the features which make it ideal for both adult and children fishing. Because it has so much space in it you can carry your fishing gear along. It has drip cups as well as interior foams which make it float easily. It also has holes which allow for easy drainage especially in the cockpit area. Being that this kayak is manufactured by Lifetime it does not disappoint when it comes to durability. The company has a good reputation as one of the best fishing kayak makers. The density plastic used to make the kayak does not tear easily.
Advanced Elements FireFly Inflatable Kayak
Inflatable kayaks are trendy lately. They are ideal for making waves in the water because of their sheer volume. Well, even the thought there are many features making the Advanced Elements FireFly Inflatable Kayaks one of the best fishing kayaks it is its fair prices that baffle kayakers. It is fairly priced but has many features of the kayaks which go for upper price ranges.
- It has a squiffy tracking. Its rounded edges make it move and sway easily through water.
- It is so swift and can get take you where you want so fast.
- This kayak is light and can be carried around easily in a backpack.
- It can also be inflated easily.
- This means that you can get it out of the boot and in just less than ten minutes you will be done inflating it.
- It also has good buoyancy and when you fall off you will easily get back into it.
- It is compact and sturdy.
- It lacks a designated seat. Even though this kayak has a cockpit for you to get into it does not have a backrest making it very uncomfortable.
- It also very small and if you want to go fishing with your friends it is not the best for you.
- It is also very light and can be blown away by winds and waves.
Coleman QuikPak (TM) K1
This is yet another one of the great kayaks for fishing especially for those that love taking in what nature has to offer on their own. With that said, there is plenty that this single person kayak has to offer among them being its unique and blue finish.
- It only takes 5 minutes to set it up and because of this, you are able to have more time in the water.
- It’s easy to carry backpack later unfolds into a seat.
- The most unique feature that this has is the fact that it has a number of air chambers that ensure that if one part of the kayak is punctured, there is still air in the other areas. That only means you get to spend less time pumping back the air.
- It also has dual lock valves and two locking points for easier inflation and deflation.
- It only weighs 19.75 pounds making it easy to carry and even steer in the water.
- Unfortunately, even though a very decent buy, it is quite easily punctured.
- It is also very hard to get moving even if you buy more advanced oars.
- Talking about oars, the ones that it comes with are not the best and you might need to replace this for a better experience.
How to use the different types of fishing kayaks
The first step of using a kayak is to first read about it. You might have the best fishing kayak but when you don’t use it well, you will still capsize and have no catch. Here are the steps on how to use your kayak:
If you have an inflatable kayak, you will have convenience in usage. You will also move with it easily from the stream or lake to your home. The first step simply involves installing everything from the quant to the seats. You should then inflate your boat to ready it for water. Note that placing it on water for a very long time will reduce its usefulness.
If you buy the best kayak for fishing you will be given a barometer for checking the inflated pressure. Other kayaks do not come with barometers and this is risky as you will not know the amount of air pressure in your kayak. The PVC used to make most kayaks does not cave in to too much pressure but having a high pressure is not good for tarpaulins. It might tear due to tension.
Place the inflated boat on shallow waters first. The waters should not have any sand, shells or sharp stones which might tear the bottom of your kayak. You can then go to deeper waters but it is not advisable to lose sight of the shore. Kayaks are not the best for deep sea fishing and so you should never go more than 200 meters into the lake or sea.
Once you have had your fishing encounter your kayak will probably be dirty and so you need to clean it up. Use detergent and fresh water for cleaning. If there are tough stains use a soft brush to remove all the dirt. Rinse it well and ensure that it is dry before you keep it. When drying, you can use a piece of cloth. Never place it in direct sunlight as this might damage the material.
When you will need your kayak later in the day or the day after you’re really do not need to deflate it. If you are waiting for the summer days you need pack it up. Never store your kayak in a wet or sunny place.
Safety precautions for using a kayak
Even though kayaking is fun, there have been losses especially when kayakers fail to pay attention to their safety. When using your kayak you should always be careful to avoid any injuries or even loss of life. The precautions you need for smooth fishing expedition with any bet kayak for fishing are categorized into three:
Before Getting On Water
Ensure that you have your jacket with you. However, new kayakers should always wear their life jackets. According to fishing kayak reviews many companies will give you life jackets when you buy a kayak. It is best that you be a swimmer before you get into a kayak. This will be significant in the event of capsize which is likely to happen when there are strong winds. Make sure that everyone you are kayaking with knows the routes that you will follow and that the paths are off rapids. The last thing you want is fishing with kayaks in the river and all over sudden you stumble into a waterfall.
When on The Water
Many kayaks have drink holders and so you might be tempted to have a beer. This is fatal and will lead to your impairment. Should anything happen when fishing in your kayaks, you will not be able to defend yourself when fishing. In case you see a sudden rapid look find a place with the most pool of water then paddle against the water flow. You never know what’s on the other side of the rapid. When you are fishing with your pears, it is important to paddle in turn so that you all don’t get too tired. The ultimate precaution is that you should not spend too much time in the water.
Where to Buy Your Kayak
Your best shot at buying the kayak for fishing is to go online. You can make your comparisons for many vendors online through their different websites. Start by using your favorite search engine to make the online search. You should then click on to the top websites that appear on the page. You need at least five of the websites to come up with ideal comparisons for getting kayaks online. Compare different sets of prices and seller features. Comparing might be the most difficult part but it ensures that you have the best kayaks for fishing. It is best that you go through reviews before you make your choice.
Checkout for Discounts
Nowadays everyone is buying everything online and so there are just so many deals. When you see the deals like the coupons and discount don’t let them pass you. You might just land that perfect kayak at the best price. You might not get the deal on the kayak but you might get free shipping coupons. Basically, always ensure that you settle for the best vendor online. Each site will give you something different and so it all depends on what you want. Review the site’s policy, make your payment and you will be good to go.
Just in case you were weighing on whether to get yourself a kayak now you have your answer. They are a fun experience for unwinding as you test your fishing skills. Even though your first step is getting the best fishing kayak it is worth noting that using kayaks is a skill. Therefore, the more your practice fishing on the pond, river or stream the better you become. Get the best kayak, follow the precautions and always take care of it so it can last long. All manufactures have specifications of every kayak and so don’t overload it. So long as you follow the specifications you will always be on the safe side.